DESIGN OF BEARING USING HYBRID ALUMINIUM METAL MATRIX COMPOSITE
Author’s Name : Dr Hanaa Mostafa | Dr Hesham Gorshy | Dr Moses Sashi Kumar
Volume 05 Issue 04 Year 2018 ISSN No: 2349-3860 Page no: 18-20
In this project work an effort has been taken to study bearing failures. It has been noticed that frequent failures occurs due to improper material selection, corrosion, fatigue, poor design etc. Work was carried out to change Clearance ratio and redesign of inner and outer bearing ring dimensions. This result in increase of life and work efficiency. Also suitable material was chosen and a new design of material was made. The material chosen was hybrid Aluminium metal matrix composite reinforced with Aluminium oxide (Al2O3) and silicon carbide (SiC). The metal matrix was Aluminium 6061. This results in considerable reduction of weight and wear. Also due to Aluminium matrix high amount of corrosive resistance property is achieved. This new design enables less weight high mechanical property and tribological properties. Modelling has been done in CATIA v5.Simulation results were carried out in ANSYS 12.0.
- T.A. Harris, Rolling bearing analysis, 3rd edition John Wiley and Sons, Inc., 1990.
- A.B. Jones, Analysis of stresses and deflections, New Departure Engineering Data, General Motors, 1946.
- A. Palmgren, Ball and roller bearing engineering, S. H. Burbank, Philadelphia, 1959.
- J. Brandlein, P. Eschmann, L. Hasbargen, K. Weigand, Ball and roller bearings: theory, design and application, John Wiley and Sons, 1999.
- E.P. Gargiulo Jr., A simple way to estimate bearing stiffness, Machine Design (1980) 107–110.