VEHICLE SEAT DESIGN STRENGTH ASSESSMENT USING FINITE ELEMENT ANALYSIS (CORNERING EVENT)
Author’s Name : Rahul Joshi | Dr Sanjay T Purkar
Volume 05 Issue 03 Year 2018 ISSN No: 2349-3860 Page no: 17-19
Vehicle seat has great importance as it is the primary component of vehicle that provides comfort to the occupants. The seat should have proper strength and durability in case of accidents of when vehicle passes through bumps. If seat structure breaks, severe injury can be occurred to the passengers. In present scenario fuel consumption of the vehicle should be minimum; hence there is a need to weight optimization of vehicle components without compromising the strength. To check these qualities of any physical components, Finite Element Analysis (FEA) is an imperative simulation tool. In this method CAD model of seat structure is prepared and developed FE model of complete seat assembly. Steel properties were used to model seat members. Passenger mass was distributed to the seat floor and seat back.
Seat Design, Safety, FEA, Optimization etc.,
- Kirk, R. Grant, (2001),ECBOS Work package 1 Task 1.1 “Statistical collection” Final Report, European Union.
- Albertsson, P., Falkmer, T., Kirk, A., Mayrhofer, E. and Bjornstig, U. (2006) ‘Case study: 128 injured in rollover coach crashes in Sweden–Injury outcome, mechanisms and possible effects of seat belts’, Safety Science, Vol. 44, pp.87–109.
- Matolcsy, M., (2007), “The severity of bus rollover accidents”, ESV Paper 989, 20th ESV Conference, Lyon, France.
- Rona Kinetics and Associates Ltd. (2002). Evaluation of occupant protection in busses. Transport Canada, Report RK02-06, British Columbia, Canada.
- Anon., Traffic Safety Facts 1999: A Compilation of Motor Vehicle Crash Data from the Fatality Analysis Reporting System and the General Estimates System, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, National Center for Statistics and Analysis, U.S. Department of Transportation, Washington DC 20590. December 2000.
- ARAI Standards, Pune, India.
- http://www.koreascience.or.kr/article/ArticleFullRecord.jsp?cn=JDCGCC_2006_v14n5_1 55