STUDY ON MECHANICAL PROPERTIES OF ALUMINIUM BASED FLY ASH AND GRAPHITE REINFORCED HYBRID METAL MATRIX COMPOSITE
Author’s Name : K P Vetrivel | S Nareshkumar
Volume 05 Issue 03 Year 2018 ISSN No: 2349-3860 Page no: 13 -16
This project deals with the study on mechanical properties of aluminium based fly ash and graphite reinforced hybrid metal matrix composites. The reinforcing particulate of MMC’s varies as 3%, 6% and 9% Fly ash with 3% Graphite (constant) each by weight and the magnesium was added 2% by weight for increasing wettability of pure Aluminium. The Stir casting method is employed to fabricate the composite, in which the reinforced particulates are poured in the molten aluminium (LM25) and stirred by motor for uniform mixing before poured into moulds. The produced composite are subjected to hardness test, tensile test are compared with pure Aluminium (LM25). It was found that hardness increase with the addition of fly ash content. The tensile strength goes to decreases with a content of fly ash.
Aluminum LM25, Fly ash, Graphite, Hardness, Stir casting ,Tensile strength
- Mr.Sharanabasappa R Patil1, Prof B.S Motgi, “A Study On Mechanical Properties Of Fly Ash And Alumina Reinforced Aluminium Alloy (Lm25) Composites”. IOSR Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering (IOSR-JMCE) e-ISSN: 2278-1684,p-ISSN: 2320-334X, Volume 7, Issue 6 (Jul. – Aug. 2013), PP 41-46.
- H.C. Anilkumar , H.S. Hebbar and K.S. Ravishankar, “Mechanical properties of fly ash reinforced aluminium alloy (al6061) composites”. International Journal of Mechanical and Materials Engineering (IJMME), Vol.6 (2011), No.1, 41-45.
- AnandhaMoorthy , Dr. N. Natarajan , R. Sivakumar , M.Manojkumar , M. Suresh, “Dry Sliding Wear and Mechanical Behavior of Aluminium/Fly ash/Graphite Hybrid Metal Matrix Composite Using Taguchi Method”, Vol.2, Issue.3, May-June 2012 pp-1224-1230 ISSN: 2249-6645
- Viney Kumar, Rahul Dev Gupta, N K Batra(2014), “Comparison of Mechanical Properties and effect of sliding velocity on wear properties of Al 6061, Mg 4%, Fly ash and Al 6061, Mg4%, Graphite 4%, Fly ash Hybrid Metal matrix composite”, Materials Processing and Characterisation (ICMPC 2014),Procedia Materials Science 6 ( 2014 ) 1365 – 1375.
- Dhanasekaran R, SaiKrishna N, Santosh M, Pallavi P, Sreenatha Reddy S, “Study of Hardness of Aluminium (LM25) Composite”, International Journal of Engineering Research And Advanced Technology (IJERAT) ISSN:2454-6135 [Volume. 03 Issue.5, May– 2017].
- Bharat Admile, S. G. Kulkarni, S. A. Sonawane, “Review on Mechanical & Wear Behavior of Aluminum-Fly Ash Metal Matrix Composite” , International Journal of Emerging Technology and Advanced Engineering .(ISSN 2250-2459, ISO 9001:2008 Certified Journal, Volume 4, Issue 5, May 2014)
- T.P.D. Rajan, R.M. Pillai, B.C. Pai, K.G. Satyanarayana , P.K. Rohatgi(2007). “Fabrication and characterisation of Al–7Si–0.35Mg/fly ash metalmatrix composites processed by different stir casting routes”. Composites Science and Technology 67 (2007) ISSN 3369–3377.
- N.Barekar, S.Tzamtzis, B.K.Dhindaw, J.Patel, N.HariBabu, and Z.Fan (2008), ‘Processing of Aluminum-Graphite Particulate MetalMatrix Composites by Advanced Shear Technology’, JMEPEG _ASM International DOI: 10.1007/s11665-009-9362-5.
- Saravanakumr.K, Venkatesh.S, Harikumar.P, Kannan.K, Jayapal.V (2013), ‘Studies on Aluminium-graphite by Stir Casting Technique’, International Journal of Scientific & Engineering Research, Volume 4, Issue 9, September-2013 390 ISSN 2229-5518.
- El-Sayed M. Sherif, A. A. Almajid, FahamsyahHamdanLatif, HarriJunaedi (2011), ‘Effects of Graphite on the Corrosion Behaviour of Aluminum-Graphite Composite in Sodium Chloride Solutions’, Int. J. Electrochem. Sci., 6 (2011) 1085 – 1099.