CFD ANALYSIS OF PERFORMANCE CHARACTERISTICS OF VARIABLE SPEED DRIVE CENTRIFUGAL PUMP BY VARIATION IN NUMBER OF IMPELLER BLADES
Author’s Name : Manjoor Ali Chidi
Volume 05 Issue 02 Year 2018 ISSN No: 2349-3860 Page no: 14-17
There is significant potential for energy efficiency improvement by using variable speed drive (VSD) centrifugal pump. In the field of centrifugal pump the impeller outlet diameter, the blade angle and the blade numbers are the most critical parameters which affect the performance. A CFD Analysis going to carry out on VSD pump at speed of 3000, 3500 and 4000 RPM by changing number of blades from 4 to 6 using ANSYS CFX software. The purpose of this analysis is to get performance characteristics of VSD pump by blade number variation. Also investigate how demand response can be improved using VSD system and the pump is to be used for wide range of demand response. Hopefully, this dissertation will be helpful to decide the number of blade to be used while designing impeller in VSD centrifugal pump.
Variable Speed Drive;Centrifugal Pump;Demand Responce
- R. Menke et al. “Extending the envelope of demand response provision through variable speed pump” ELSEVIER, Procedia engineering 186 (2017) 584-591.
- Abdellah Kara Omar et al. “Prediction of centrifugal pump performance using energy loss analysis” Australian journal of mechanical engineering, Tailor and Frances 2016.
- Gideon Edgar Du plessis et al. “The use of variable speed drives for cost-effective energy savings in South African mine cooling systems” ELSEVIER, applied energy 111(2013)16-27.
- Rakibuzzaman et al. “A study on multistage centrifugal pump performance characteristics of variable speed drive system” ELSEVIER, Procedia engineering 105(2015)270-275.
- Issa Chalghoum et al. “Transient behavior of a centrifugal pump during starting period” ELSEVIER, Applied acoustics 2016.
- Yanxia Fu et al. “Numerical and experimental analysis of flow phenomena in a centrifugal pump operating under low flow rates” Journal of fluids engineering, January 2015, vol. 137.
- Muhammad H Al-Khalifah et al. “control valve verses variable speed drive for flow control” ISA 2012.
- Dr. Mohammed ali mahmood hussein. “the effect of rotational speed variation on the static pressure in the centrifugal pump” IOSR-JMCE volume 8, issue 6, pp 83-94.
- Vijaypratap R Singh et al. “Parametric study and design optimization of centrifugal pump – A review” ijera vol.4 issue 1, January 2014, pp 45 – 49.
- S. Chakraborty et al. “Numerical studies on effect of blade number variations on performance of centrifugal pumps at 4000 RPM” IACSIT, Vol.3, no.4, august 2011.
- K.M.Pandey et al. “numerical studies on effects of blade number variations on performance of centrifugal pump at 2500 RPM” journal of environmental research and development vol.6 no.3a, jan-march 2012.
- S.R.Shah et al. “CFD for centrifugal pumps : a review of the state-of-the-art. ELSEVIER Procedia engineering 51(2013) 715-720.
- S.Yedidiah et al. “A study in the use of CFD in the design of centrifugal pumps” Engineering Applications of Computational Fluid Mechanics Vol. 2, No. 3, pp. 331–343 (2008).
- M.Lorusso et al. “Efficient CFD evaluation of the NPSH for centrifugal pumps” ELSEVIER, Energy procedia 126 (201709) 778-785.
- Centrifugal pump selection, sizing, and interpretation of performance curves
- Khin Cho Thin et al ”Design and Performance Analysis of Centrifugal pump”world academi of science, engineering and technology,2008.
- Saeid Mohammadzade Negharchi et al,” Evaluation of methods for reducing the total cost in rural water pumping stations in Iran: a case study “journal of water supply: research and technology-AQUA 65.3-2016.
- Massinissa Djerroud et al,” Numerical Identification of Key Design Parameters Enhancing the Centrifugal Pump Performance: Impeller, Impeller-Volute, and Impeller-Diffuser, ISRN Mechanical Engineering Volume 2011.
- Power station selection part 1, world pumps, December 2009.
- Power station pump selection part 2, world pumps, January 2010.
- Stefen M Abeline “intelligent future for waste water pumping “world pumps march 2017.
- Variable frequency drive recommendations for centrifugal pump,ITT Industries.
- Variable speed driven pumps- best practice guide, GAMBICA British pump manufacturers guide.
- Igor J.Karassik et al, Pump handbook, third edition, Mc grew hill.