ANALYSIS OF EXHAUST MANIFOLD OF MULTI-CYLINDER SI ENGINE USING ANSYS
Author’s Name : G Sree Bhavani Charan | Dr G Nagamalleswara Rao
Volume 05 Issue 02 Year 2018 ISSN No: 2349-3860 Page no: 3-7
In present century, spark ignition engines have become a non-separable part of the society, and are used in many sectors of energy. They act as backbone for transportation systems, but, as a bitter truth they behave like a major source of air pollution. There are basically three types of emissions, emerged from an SI engine; exhaust emissions, evaporative emission, and crankcase emission, and the major pollutants emerged from these engines are CO, CO2, SOX, NOX. Present work aims at reducing emissions. It is a well-established fact that smooth combustion minimizes the emissions, and exhaust process contributes a lot in accomplishing smooth combustion process. In present work, different designs of exhaust manifold for a multi cylinder spark ignition engine are optimized for reducing emissions, by evaluating back pressures. For this purpose four different designs, namely, short bend center exit, short bend side exit, long bend center exit with reducer, and long bend side exit with reducer are considered, and their performance is evaluated for different loading conditions. As a result performance scores of different models based on back pressure are evaluated, and on the basis of these scores, overall performance score is investigated. In next step, on the basis of overall performance score, ranking of different models is carried out. The results show the suitability of short bend center exit model for the purpose, as it scores better rank in the analysis. The analysis is carried out on virtual models of manifolds. Models of manifolds are developed on CATIA v5 modeling software, and for the purpose of analysis ANSYS Workbench is used.
Exhaust Manifold, Back Pressures, Exhaust Velocities, CATIA v5, ANSYS Workbench
- K.S. Umesh, V.K. Pravin and K. Rajagopal “CFD Analysis and Experimental Verification of Effect of Manifold Geometry on Volumetric efficiency and Back Pressure for Multi-cylinder SI Engine” International Journal of Engineering & Science Research IJESR/July 2013/ Vol-3/Issue-7/342.
- Kulal et al.(2013) “Experimental Analysis of Optimal Geometry for Exhaust Manifold of Multi-cylinder SI Engine for Optimum Performance” Global journal of researches in engineering A: Classification (FOR) 091304,091399, Vol.10 Issue 5 (Ver1.0) October 2010.
- Benny Paul, V. Ganesan, “Flow field Development in a Direct Injection Diesel Engine with Different Manifolds” International Journal of Engineering, Science and Technology, Vol-2, No.1, 2010;
- Gopaal, M.M.M Kumara Varma, L. Suresh Kumar, “Exhaust Manifold Design – FEA Approach” International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology, Volume-17, Number 10, November 2014;
- MohdSajid Ahmed, Kailash B.A.,Gowreesh,”Design and Analysis of a Multi-Cylinder Four Stroke SI Engine Exhaust Manifold Using CFD Technique” International Research Journal of Engineering and Technology, volume-2, Issue-9, December 2015;