LIFE CYCLE ANALYSIS OF KEROSENE AND EDM OIL FOR SUSTAINABLE EDM
Author’s Name : Tejaskumar N Shrof | Mahendra Y Patil
Volume 04 Issue 03 Year 2017 ISSN No: 2349-3860 Page no: 11-15
The usage of nonconventional machining performs is growing for product manufacturing mostly when machining challenging to scratch material plus when extraordinary accuracy essential. There is plenty of examination piloted on refining sustainability of conventional machining. Though sustainability readings on nonconventional machining (EDM) observes are rare. Here research is carried out the Life Cycle Analysis (LCA) of dielectric fluid used in EDM for sustainable manufacturing. LCA is a versatile tool for quantifying the overall environmental impacts from a product, process, or service. The primary goal is to choose the best product, process, or service with the least effect on human health and the environment. In this research the focus is toward assess the total ecological effect of dielectric used in EDM. For the research work two dielectric used Kerosene and Synthetic oil and whole LCA studies carried out in GABI software. GABI is use for Life Cycle Analysis to assess life cycle environmental effect, rate, and social heath ware, procedures and technologies. It also compromises records with world-wide coverage as well as Eco invent data. This LCA studies carried out on standard ISO 14040 and the overall environmental impact of different dielectric is measure with experiment and validate through software.
Unconventional Machining, EDM, Life Cycle Analysis, Sustainable Manufacturing,CO2PE! Methodology, Kerosene, EDM oil
- Abbas, M. N., Solomon, D. G., & Fuad Bahari, M. (2007). A review on current research trends in electrical discharge machining (EDM). International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture, 47(7), 1214-1228.
- Dhirendra nath mishra, Aarti Bhatia, Vaibhav rana (2014). “Study on Electro Discharge Machining (EDM)”. The International Journal Of Engineering And Science (IJES) Volume3, Issue 2,Pages 24-35,2014, ISSN(e): 2319 – 1813 ISSN(p): 2319 – 1805
- Tonshroff H K , Egger R , Klocke F ( 1 9 9 6 ) Environmental and safety aspects of electro physical and electrochemical processes. Annals of CIRP -Manufacturing Technology 45, 553–68.
- Leao FN, Pashby IR (2004) A review on the use of environmentally-friendly dielectric fluids in electrical discharge machining. J Mater Process Technology 149,341–6.
- Evertz S, Dott W, Eisentraeger A (2006) Electrical discharge machining: Occupational hygienic characterization using emission based monitoring. Int J Hyg Environ Health 209, 423–34.
- M. A. Curran, et al. 1996. Environmental Life Cycle Assessment. ISBN 0-07-015063-X, McGraw-Hill. New York.
- LIFE CYCLE ASSESSMENT: PRINCIPLES AND PRACTICE by Scientific Applications International Corporation (SAIC) 11251 Roger Bacon Drive Reston, VA 20190 EPA/600/R-06/060 May 2006
- Rainer Stark et al, Sustainable Manufacturing ISSN 2194-0541 ISSN 2194-055X (electronic) Sustainable Production, Life Cycle Engineering and Management ISBN 978-3-319-48513-3 ISBN 978-3-319-48514-0 (eBook) DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-48514-0
- Janaka R. Gamage, Anjali K.M. DeSilva, Colin Harrison, David Harrison, Assessment of research needs for sustainability of unconventional machining processes, 12th Global conference on Sustainable Manufacturing Procedia CIRP 26(2015), 385-390.
- Janaka R. Gamage, Anjali K.M. DeSilva, Colin Harrison, David Harrison, Ascertaining life cycle inventory data for electrical discharge machining, 48th CIRP Conference on MANUFACTURING SYSTEMS – CIRP CMS 2015, Procedia CIRP 41 ( 2016 ) 908 – 913
- Janaka R. Gamage, Anjali K.M. DeSilva, Colin Harrison, David Harrison, Process level environmental of electrodischarge machining of aluminium(3003) and steel (AISI P20), Journal of Cleaner Production (2016), doi: 10.1016/j.jclepro.2016.07.090.
- Karel Kellens, Renaldi, Wim Dewulf, Joost R Duflou, Preliminary Environmental Assessment of Electrical Discharge Machining, In: Hesselbach J, Herrmann C, editors. Glocalized Solut. Sustain.Manuf., Springer Berlin Heidelberg; 2011, p. 377–82.
- Mathew JOSE, S. P. SIVAPIRAKASAM, M. SURIANARAYANAN, Analysis of Aerosol Emission and Hazard Evaluation of Electrical Discharge Machining (EDM) Process, Industrial Health 2010, 48, 478–486, DOI: 10.2486/indhealth.MS1127
- Jagdeep SINGH, Rajiv Kumar SHARMA, Assessing the effects of different dielectrics on environmentally conscious powder-mixed EDM of difficult-to machine material (WC-Co), Front. Mech. Eng. DOI 10.1007/s11465-016-0388-8
- Sivapirakasam Suthangathan Paramashivan, Jose Mathew, Surianarayanan Mahadevan, Mathematical modeling of aerosol emission from die sinking electrical discharge machining process, Applied Mathematical Modelling 36 (2012) 1493–1503
- Bommeli B. Study of the harmful emanations resulting from the machining by electro-erosion. In: Proceedings of the 7th international symposium on electromachining (ISEM VII), Birmingham, 12–14 April 1983, Kempston, Bedford: IFS (Publications), 1983; Amsterdam: North-Holland, 1983, pp.469–478.
- Yeo SH, Tan HC and New AK.Assessment of waste streams in electric-discharge machining for environmental impact analysis. Proc IMechE, Part B: J Engineering Manufacture 1998; 212: 393–401.
- Konig W and Jorres L. Aqueous solutions of organic compounds as dielectrics for EDM sinking. ClRP Ann: Manuf Techn 1987; 36(1): 105–109.
- Jose Mathew and S.P. Sivapirakasam, Evaluation of occupational exposure to aerosol emitted from die sinking electrical discharge machining process, Int. J. Environment and Health, Vol. 4, No. 1, 2010
- Tao J, Shih AJ and Ni J. Experimental study of the dry and near dry electrical discharge milling processes. J Manuf Sci E: T ASME 2008; 130(1): 011002 (9 pp.).
- Wansheng Z, Yonghui H, Liming G, et al. A measuring and evaluating system of the utilization ratio of electrical energy in EDM. In: ISEM XI, Lausanne, 17–21 April 1995, pp.253–259.
- Kern R. Safety & green EDM. EDM Today, July–August 2008, vol. 22, pp.22–25.
- Abbas NM, Yusoff N and Wahab RM. Electrical discharge machining (EDM): practices in Malaysian industries and possible change towards green manufacturing. Procedia Eng. (International Symposium on Robotics and Intelligent Sensors (IRIS 2012)) 2012; 41: 1684–1688.
- Skrabalak G and Kozak J. Study on dry electrical discharge machining. In: Proceedings of the world congress on engineering, WCE 2010, vol. III, London, 30 June–2 July 2010, pp.2070–2075.
- Kokhanovskaya TS. EDM working fluids: electro machining. In: Proceedings of the 7th international symposium on electro machining (ISEM VII), Birmingham, 12–14 April 1983, Kempston, Bedford: IFS (Publications),1983; Amsterdam: North-Holland, 1983, pp.251–263.
- Karel Kellens1, Renaldi1,2, Wim Dewulf1,2, Joost R. Duflou, THE CO2PE! INITIATIVE (COOPERATIVE EFFORT ON PROCESS EMISSIONS IN MANUFACTURING), The 14th European Round table on Sustainable Production and Consumption (ERSCP) The 6th Environmental Management for Sustainable Universities (EMSU)
- Janak B Valaki, Pravin P Rathod3 and Bharat C Khatri, Environmental impact, personnel health and operational safety aspects of electric discharge machining: A review, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, DOI: 10.1177/0954405414543314
- Janak B. Valaki1, Pravin P. Rathod3, Assessment of operational feasibility of waste vegetable oil based bio-dielectric fluid for sustainable electric discharge machining (EDM) Int J Adv Manuf Technology DOI 10.1007/s00170-015-7169-0