SYNTHESIS AND CHARACTERIZATION OF METAL MATRIX COMPOSITES
Author’s Name : Lakshmanan Pillai A
Volume 04 Issue 01 Year 2017 ISSN No: 2349-3860 Page no: 18-21
The aluminum matrix composite (AMCs) is considered to be a most suitable material for low and high temperature applications. Particles reinforced AMCs materials have high specific strength and modulus of elasticity due to the reinforcement present in the matrix. In order to get the desired property alumina and chromium oxide are added as reinforcement with aluminium base metal. Stir-casting route was selected to synthesize the composites as it is considered as the most effective tool in metal matrix preparation .The key mechanical properties such as hardness and wear resistance of the composite was evaluated .Under stir-casting, the alumina and CrO3 were found to be uniformly distributed in the aluminum alloy and bonding between alumina and chromium oxide reinforcement with the aluminum base was effective. The hardness and wear resistance property of the metal matrix composite were compared with Aluminum 6061.
Stir casting,Aluminum Matrix Composite,Reinforcement,Alumina,Chromium oxide
- S.J.HARRIS, Cast metal matrix composites,Materials science and Technology, 1988, Vol.4, pp 231-239 .
- M. Kok, Production and mechanical properties of Al2O3 particle reinforced Al 2024 alloys, J. Mater. Process. Technol. 2005, Vol.161, pp 381-387.
- K. Brunelli, M. Dabalà, C. Martini ,Surface hardening of al 7075 alloy by diffusion treatments of electrolytic ni coatings, la metallurgia italina, 2006, Vol.7, pp 37.40.
- Muhammad Hayat Jokhio, Muhammad Ibrahim Panhwar, and Mukhtiar Aliunar , Manufacturing of Aluminum Composite Material Using Stir Casting Process, MURJET, 2011,Vol. 30, pp 53-58.
- Ajay Singh, Love Kumar, Mohit Chaudhary, Om Narayan, PallavSharma, Piyush Singh, Bhaskar Chandra Kandpal, Som Ashutosh, Manufacturing of ammcs using stir casting Process and testing its mechanical properties.Int. J. of adv. Eng. Tech, 2011, Vol.3, pp 26-29.
- Ajay singh, Mohit chaudhary, Om narayan, Pallavsharma, Piyush singh, Bhaskar Chandra kandpal, Som ashutosh, Manufacturing of ammcs using stir casting, Process and testing its mechanical properties, International Journal of Advanced Engineering Technology e-i ssn 0976-3945.
- S.C. Tjong, Z.Y. Ma, Microstructural and mechanical characteristics of MMC, Mater. Sci. Eng. 2000,Vol.29, pp 49–113.
- A. Mondal, R. Maiti, M. Chakraborty, B.S. Murty, Effect of TiB2 on ageing response of Al-4Cu alloy, Mater. Sci. Eng. A, 2004 Vol. 386, pp 296–300.
- G.S. Vinod Kumar, B.S. Murty, M. Chakraborty,development of grain refiners, J. Alloys Compd. 2005, Vol. 396, pp 143–150.
- N. Parvin and M. Rahimian, The Characteristics of Alumina Particle Reinforced Pure Al Matrix Composite. 2014, Vol. 5,pp 1031-38.
- R. S. Rana, Rajesh purohit, and S Das Maulana Azad, Reviews on the influences of alloying elements on the microstructure and mechanical properties of aluminum alloys and aluminum alloy composites.IJSRP, 2012, Vol. 2, pp 01-07.
- N. Hosseini , Karimzadeh , M.H .Abbasi, M.H.Enayati ,A comparative study on the wear properties of coarse-grained Al6061 alloy and nanostructured Al6061–Al2O3 composites, Tribology international, Vol.54, pp 58-67.
- P.N. Bindumadhavan , Heng Keng Wah ,O.Prabhakar “Experiments on Aluminium- Copper Alloy Properties as Solar Absorbers”The annals of university “dunarea de jos“ of galati Fascicle viii, tribology 2003 issn 1221-4590 99-150.