SMART PRELOADING OF AN AUTOMOBILE CAM CHAIN STATION
Author’s Name : Sri Hari Venkatesh | Nandish R V
Volume 03 Issue 04 Year 2016 ISSN No: 2349-3860 Page no: 7-11
During Manufacture, chains are routinely “preload” to a definite percentage of their “tensile strength” to help correct assembly inaccuracies, Increase endurance life and to reduce initial running-in wear. Cam Chains are used for timing applications in two wheeler engines for timing the opening and closing of valves – they connect the camshaft to the crankshaft. These chains will benefit from accurate length control as this directly affects engine efficiency, and tight tolerances on length are valued by the engine manufacturers.A need was felt to “smart load” these chains during the preloading process with a view to improving length control. This involves varying the load at the preload station depending in the length before preloading within acceptable limits.This project aims at designing a new concept preloading station for “smart preloading” a motorcycle or scooter cam chain through the following steps:
1. Estimate /validate the effect of preloading by analysis. Test to arrive at desirable load limits
2. Study the drawbacks/problems of the existing method of preloading.
3. Arrive at a superior/novel preloading concept, Make a detailed Design.
4. Build a model which can meet productivity requirement.
Automobile; CAM Chain Station; Preloading
- Ogundare O.D., Momoh I.M., Akinribide O.J., Daniyan, A.A., 1,2 Adetunji, A.R.,Olusunle, S.O.O.; Effect of Strain Rates on Mild Steel under Tensile Loading, International Journal of Science and Technology, 2, 2013
- Ignatius C. Okafor1, Ronald J. O’Malley2, Kaushal R. Prayakarao3, Heshmat A.Aglan3; Effect of Zinc Galvanization on the Microstructure and Fracture Behavior of Low and Medium Carbon Structural Steels,science research, 5, 2013,656-666
- J. K. Odusote1, T. K. Ajiboye2, A. B. Rabiu2; Evaluation of Mechanical Properties of Medium Carbon Steel Quenched in Water and Oil, Journal of Minerals and Materials Characterization and Engineering, 11,2012, 859-862
- Naveen Kumar & Dalgobind Mahto ;Assembly Line Balancing: A Review of Developments and Trends in Approach to Industrial Application, Global Journal of Researches in Engineering Industrial Engineering; 13, 2013