EXPERIMENTAL INVESTIGATION OF SOLAR FLAT PLATE COLLECTOR FOR DRYING CHILLIES
Author’s Name : M.S.Heaven Dani | S.Maharajan |S.Praveen |S.Ramesh |A.Saravanan
Volume 03 Issue 01 Year 2016 ISSN No: 2349-3860 Page no: 20-23
This research includes the design and manufacture of indirect forced convection solar dryer and its performance test on Chillies under the metrological conditions of Chennai, India. Solar dryer consists of Solar Collector and Drying Chamber section with three trays. The drying test was conducted with the blower of blowing capacity 2.5m3/min. The maximum air temperature achieved in the dryer was 〖72〗^0 c.The dryer was loaded with 100grams of chillies having an initial moisture content of 75% and the final desired moisture content of 14% was achieved within 7hours.This prototype dryer was designed and constructed to have a maximum collector area of 0.07m2 .This solar dryer have been used in experimental drying tests under various loading conditions.
Solar dryer; Chillies drying;Indirect forced convection; Drying Chamber
- Chabane Foued, Moummi Noureddine, Benramache Said , Bensahal Djamel, Belahssen Okba and Lemmadi Fatima Z., (2013)“Thermal Performance Optimization of A Flat Plate Solar Air Heater”. International Journal of Energy & Technology. Vol.5, No. 8, pp 1–6.
- Hegazy, A.A. (1999). Optimum channel geometry for solar air heaters of Conventional design and constant flow operation. Energy Conversion and Management, 40(7), 754-774
- Shanmugam, V,; and Natarajan, E. (2007). Experimental study of regenerative desiccant integrated solar dryer with and without reflective mirror. Applied Thermal Engineering, 27(8-9), 1543-1551.
- Jain, D.; and Tiwari, G.N (2003).Thermal aspects of open sun drying of Variouscrops. Energy, 28(1), 37-54.
- Mohanraj, M.; and chandrasekar, p. (2009). Performance of solar drier with and without heat storage material for copra drying. ”Special issue on Recent trends in solar energy technology”Int. j. of Global energy issues, 32 (2), 112-121
- Ahmad, A.; Saini, J.S.; and Varma, H.K. (1996). Thermohydraulic performance of packed bed solar air heaters. Energy conversion and Management,37 (2), 205-214.
- Ramana Murthy, MV: A review of new technologies, models and experimental investigations of solar driers. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews13(4), 835-844(2009).
- Bolaji, BO: Performance evaluation of simple solar dryer for food preservation.ln: Proceedings of the 6th Annual Engineering Conference of School of Engineering and Technology.Federal University of Technology, Minna, Nigeria (2005).
- sreekumar, A, Manikandan, PE, Vijayakumar, KP: Performance of indirect solar cabinet dryer. Energy conversion and Mangement 49, 1388-1395 (2008)
- EI-Shiarty, MA, Muller, j, Muhlbauer, W:Drying fruits and vegtables with solar energy in Egpt. AMA 4, 61-64 (2002)