INCREASING THE COOLING EFFECT OF A COOLING TOWER BY ADDING NOZZLES AT THE END OF EVERY PACKING
Author’s Name : M Rohiit Priyadarshan
Volume 02 Issue 04 Year 2015 ISSN No: 2349-3860 Page no: 7-9
A replica model of PA Hilton H893 cooling tower was fabricated for experimentation. 2 types of decks were also fabricated, one with nozzles at the end of every packing and the other resembling the decks of a conventional H893 cooling tower. Experimental trials were done at a fixed air flow rate and water flow rate, to observe the effect due to addition of nozzles. In this paper, we shall see the procedure and result of the above-mentioned experiment. Further methods of increasing the cooling effect have also been discussed.
Air Flow Rate, Effectiveness, Heat Transfer, Nozzle Effect, Relative Percentage Increase
- Velimir Stefanovic, Slobodan Lakovic, Nenad Radojkovic, Gradimir Ilic, Experimental Study on Heat and Mass Transfer in Cooling Towers, Facta Universitatis Mechanical Enginnering Vol.1, N° 7,2000,pp. 849 -861
- H. R. Goshayshi, and J.F. Missenden, “The investigation of cooling tower packing in various arrangements”, Appl. Therm. Eng., vol. 20, pp. 69–80, 2000.
- R. Al-Waked, and M. Behnia, “Enhancing performance of wet cooling towers”, Energy Convers. Manage., vol. 48(10), pp. 2638-2648, 2007
- Matjaz Dvorsek, Marko Hocevar, Brane Sirok, Nikola Holecek, Bozin Donevski, The Influence of Airflow Inlet Region Modifications on the Local Efficiency of Natural Draft Cooling Tower Operation, Stojniski vestnik – Jounal of Mechanical Engineering 57(2011)10, 750 – 759
- Gaoming Ge, Fu Xiao, Shengwei Wang, Liang Pu, Effects of Discharge Recirculation in Cooling Towers on Energy Efficiency and Visible Plume Potential of Chilling Plants, Applied Thermal Engineering, Volume 39, June 2012, Pages 37-44
- Jing-Jing Jiang, Xiao-Hua Liu, Yi Jiang, Experimental and Numerical Analysis of a Cross-Flow Closed Wet Cooling Tower, Applied Thermal Engineering, Volume 61, Issue 2, 3 November 2013, Pages 678-689
- Mehdi Rahmati, Seyed Rashid Alavi, Ahmad Sedaghat, Thermal performance of natural draft wet cooling towers under cross-wind conditions based on experimental data and regression analysis 6th Conference on Thermal Power Plants, CTPP 2016 19-20 Jan. 2016, Iran University of Science and Technology, Tehran, Iran
- Pooriya Shahali, Mehdi Rahmati, Seyed Rashid Alavi, Ahmad Sedaghat, Experimental Study on Improving Operating Conditions of Wet Cooling Towers using various Rib Numbers of Packing, International Journal of Refrigeration, Volume 65, May 2016, Pages 80-91
- M.Rohiit Priyadarshan, Dr. R. Senthil Kumar, Experimental Analysis of a Laboratory Scale Cooling Tower and Analyzing an Industrial Cooling Tower based on Results, International Journal of Research in Mechanical Engineering, Volume 4, Issue 3, May-June, 2016, pp. 263-270