CFD ANALYSIS OF PLACING COMPONENTS IN THE UNDER HOOD OF A CAR
Author’s Name : Praveenkumar K | Dr P Tamil selvan
Volume 02 Issue 03 Year 2015 ISSN No: 2349-3860 Page no: 20-26
This project reports as the computational study of the aero thermal phenomena in the vehicle under hood compartment as investigated by measuring temperature and convective heat flux. The consequence of the architectural arrangements of electrical and mechanical components on the aero thermal behavior in the under hood compartment. The problem arises from the under hood architecture, specially the positioning of the some components downstream of warmer components in the same air flow. This study makes an assessment of the need for including the thermal objective into the optimization process and also presents an efficient way of performing CFD simulation over the under hood geometry. The objective is to study thermal behavior of the under hood of car by modifying the cooling module distance from the engine components. The distance between the radiator and the engine components are modified horizontally. By increasing distance of placement of the engine from radiator, it shows increase in the mean velocity of the air and creates less resistance to flow when it is compared with base model. Finally, by increasing the distance of engine from radiator increases the temperature of the air downstream from the under hood. The surface temperature components present in the under hood decreases. Generally, additional 10-12 cm is available in the under hood for the placement of the engine block module with respect to the cooling module. However, this space varies from one vehicle to another. Therefore, geometrically there are no potential restrictions if one respects the other allowable distances for an existing car design. However, for a new car design, a choice has to be made if there is a strong downsizing demand of the under hood.
Under hood;aerothermal;engine placement ; computational fluid dynamics
- T.G. Bancroft, S.M. Sapsford and D.J. Butler, “Under hood Airflow Prediction Using VECTIS Coupled to a 1-D System Model” In Proceedings of the 5th Ricardo Software International Users Conference, Shoreham-by-Sea, UK, 2000.
- Guohua Wang, Qing Geo, Tianshi Zhang and Yan Wang “A simulation approach of under-hood thermal Management”, State key laboratory of automotive simulation and control, Jilin University, and college of Automotive Engineering, Jilin University, 130025 Changchum, China, 2016.
- Mahmoud Khaled, Hisham El hage, FareedMangi,FabienHarambat, Hassan peer Hossaini,“Fan air flow and heat transfer enhancement of vehicle under-hood cooling system-Toward new control approach for fuel reduction” , PSA Peugeot citroen, Velizy A centre, 2 route de Gisy,78943 Vilacoublay, France, 2011.
- Mahmoud Khaled, Mahamad Ramadan, Hisham El hage, Ahmed Elmarakbi, Fabien Harambat, Hassan peer Hossaini, “Review of under-hood arothermal management: towards vehicle simplified models”, Energy and thermo fluid group,school of engineering, Labanese International University LIV,POBOX 146404,Berirut Labanon, PSA Peugeot citroen, Velizy A centre, 2 route de Gisy,78943 Vilacoublay, France, 2014.
- Shaolin Mao, ZhigangFeng, EE Michaelides, “Off highway heavy duty truck underhood thermal analysis”, Centre for computation and technology, Louisina state university, Boton Rouge, LA 70803, USA, 2010.
- Mahmoud Khaled, Fabien Harambal, Hichamelhge, Hassan peer Hossaini, “Spatial optimization of an under hood cooling module- towards an innovative control approach”, Thermo fluids,complex flows and energy research group, Laboratories de Thermocienetique, CNRS-UMR6607,Ecole polytechnechique, University of nates, rue c.pauc, BP 50609,44306,Nautescedens, France and PSA Peugeot citroen, Velizy A centre, 2 route de Gisy,78943 Vilacoublay, France,2011.
- S Seider and F Bet, “Flow and thermal performance prediction for automotive accessory units and their integration into under-hood CFD flow analysis with multi thermal system”, Indes A Gmbbi, Germany.
- John R.Pierson, Richard T.Johnson, “Envelopment of automotive battery system capable of surviving modern under-hood environment”, Johnson controls Battery Group, Inc., 5757 North Green Buy Avanue, P.O. BOX 591, Milwaukee, W153201 (USA), 1993.
- Mahmoud Khaled, Fabien Harambal and Hassan peer Hossaini, “ Analytical and Embrical determination of thermal performance of louvered heat exchanger- Effects of air flow statistics”, Thermo fluids,complex flows and energy research group, Laboratories de Thermocienetique, CNRS-UMR6607,Ecole polytechnechique, University of nates, rue c.pauc, BP 50609,44306,Nautescedens, France and PSA Peugeot citroen, Velizy A centre, 2 route de Gisy,78943 Vilacoublay, France,2010.
- Mahmoud Khaled, Fabien Harambal and Hassan peer Hossaini, “ Under-hood thermal Managements and physical analysis” ,Thermo fluids,complex flows and energy research group, Laboratories de Thermocienetique, CNRS-UMR6607,Ecole polytechnechique, University of nates, rue c.pauc, BP 50609,44306,Nautescedens, France and PSA Peugeot citroen, Velizy A centre, 2 route de Gisy,78943 Vilacoublay, France, 2009.
- M. Khaledab, F. Harambatb and H. Peerhossainia, “Temperature and Heat Flux Behavior of Complex Flows in Car Underhood Compartment”, Applied Thermal Engineering Volume 30, pp. 590–598, 2010.
- E. Weidmann, J. Wiedemann, T. Binner, and H. Reister, “Underhood Temperature Analysis in Case of Natural Convection”, SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2045, 2005. I.F. Hsu and W.S. Schwartz, “Simulation of the Thermal Environment Surrounding an Underbody Fuel Tank in a Passenger Vehicle Using Orthogonally Structured and Body-Fitted Unstructured CFD Codes in Series”, SAE Technical Paper, 950616, 1995.
- N. Wenyan, “Lift Truck Underhood Cooling Simulation”, Counterbalanced Development Center, NACCO Materials Handling Group, 2006.
- K. Srinivasan, G. Woronowycz and M. Zabat, “An Efficient Procedure for Vehicle Thermal Protection Development”, SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1904, 2005.
- K.D. Huang and S.C. Tzeng, “Optimiztion of Size of Vehicle and Flow Domain for Underhood Airflow Simulaton”, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering vol. 218 no. 9 945-951, 2004.
- S. Chacko, B. Shome, and V. Kumar, “Numerical Simulation for Improving Radiator Efficiency by Air Flow Optimization”, Beta-Case International Conference, Greece, 2005.
- D. Winnard, G. Venkateswaran and R. Barry, “Under hood Thermal Management by Controlling Air Flow,” SAE Technical Paper 951013, 1995.
- D. Jung and D.N. Assanis, “Numerical Modeling of Cross Flow Compact Heat Exchanger with Louvered Fins using Thermal Resistance Concept”. SAE Technical Paper, 2006-01-0726, 2006.
- D.Allen, M.Lasecki, W.Hnatczuk and R.Chalgren, “Advanced Thermal Management for Military Application”, Proceedings for the Army Science Conference (24th), Florida, 2005.