PERFORMANCE STUDY OF METHANOL –PERTOL BLEND IN THREE CYLINDER FOUR STROKE SI ENGINE TEST RIG
Author’s Name : Sunil Kumar Singh | Jitendra Raghuwanshi | Rana Manoj Mourya
Volume 02 Issue 02 Year 2015 ISSN No: 2349-3860 Page no: 15-17
This study discusses the performance parameter of a test rig (3-Cylinder 4-Stroke Maruti 800 model) fueled with low content alcohol (methanol) blends and pure petrol. In this study experiment is done to measure performance parameter, exhaust emission and exhaust gas temperature for 4-stroke SI engine one by one using different ratio of methanol-petrol blends. The engine is tested at different load at different rpm and varying blending percentage. It is found that increasing blending percentage increases break power and break thermal efficiency due to higher cylinder temperature. The results show that use of 15% of methanol with commercial petrol in Test Rig improves performance parameter and is good option for replacing any other additives and also methanol is good candidate in all alternative fuels.
- Internal combustion engine test bed, Instruction manual, Didacata Company 2001, Italy.
- Al-Dawoodi Mohamed Fadhil, (Modeling of four stroke diesel engine speed operated with hydrogen blended fuel), M.Sc thesis, University of Babylon, Iraq, 2006.
- Kumabe k, Fujimoto S, Yanagida T,Ogata M, Fukuda T,Yabe A, Minowa T. “environmental and economic analysis of methanol production process via biomass gasification”, Fuel, 2008,Vol.87, pp.1422-27.
- API Recommended Practice 1627 Storage and Handling of Gasoline-Methanol/Co solvent Blends at Distribution Terminal and Service Stations, August 1986.
- Hu, T G, Wei Y J, Liu S H, Zhou L B. “Improvement of Spark- Ignition (SI) Engine Combustion and Emission during Cold Start, Fueled with Methanol/Gasoline Blends”, Energy Fuels, 2007, Vol.21, pp.171-75
- Abu-Zaid M, Badran O, Yamin J. Effect of Methanol Addition on the Performance of Spark Ignition Engines”, Energy Fuels, 2004, Vol.18, pp.312–15.
- Zervas E, Montagne X, Lahaye J. (Emissions of regulated pollutants form a spark ignition engine. Influence of fuel and air/fuel equivalence ratio), EnViron. Sci. Technol. 2003, Vol.37, pp.3232–38.
- Bilgin A, Sezer I. “Effects of methanol addition to gasoline on the performance and fuel cost of a spark ignition engine”, Energ Fuel, 2008, Vol.22, pp.2782–88.
- Yanju W, Shenghua L, Hongsong L, Rui Y, Jie L, Ying W. (Effects of methanol/gasoline blends on a spark ignition engine performance and emissions), Energ Fuel, 2008, Vol.22, pp.1254–59.