EXPERIMENTAL INVESTIGATION OF MECHANICAL BEHAVIOR OF BAMBOO-COTTON WOVEN FABRIC/EPOXY HYBRID COMPOSITES
Author’s Name : R Thilipkumar
Volume 01 Issue 04 Year 2014 ISSN No: 2349-3860 Page no: 9-11
The objective of this paper is to study the effect of number of layers on mechanical behaviour of bamboo- cotton woven fabric/epoxy hybrid composite laminates. The bamboo-cotton woven fabric/epoxy composite laminates having layers in the range of 8, 10, 12 and 14 were prepared by a hand lay-up followed by compression moulding process. The specimens were prepared according to ASTM standards and the experiment has been carried out by Universal Testing Machine (UTM).The tensile, flexural, impact and water absorption tests have been performed on the fabricated composites. It was found that the addition of layers of the fibers resulted in increase in mechanical properties of the composites and decrease in water resistance.
Banana-cotton, Hybrid Composites, Woven Fabric, Mechanical properties, Epoxy resin
- Okubo K., Fujii T., Ve Yamamoto Y.; “Development of bamboo-based polymer composites and their mechanical properties”, Composites Part A: Applied science and manufacturing, Vol. 35, 2005, pp. 377-383.
- Kawahito M.; “A comparative study of bamboo shijara fabric and cotton shijara fabric”, Journal of Society of Fibre Science & Technology Japan, Vol. 64(4), 2008, pp. 108-112.
- Karahan A., Oktem T., Seventekin, N.; “Dogal Bambu Lifleri”, Tekstil eKonfek- siyon, Vol. 4, 2006, pp. 236-240.
- Godbole V. S., Lakkad S. C.; “Effect of water absorption on the mechanical properties of bamboo”, Journal of Material Science letter,Vol. 5, 1986 pp. 303–304.
- Yakou T., Sakamoto S.; “Abrasive properties of bamboo”, Japanese Journal of Tribology, Vol. 38, 1993, pp. 491 -497.
- Grineviciute D., et al.; “Influence of ba m- boo fibre on fabric hand”,Proceedings of 7th Baltic Polymer Symposium, 2007, September, pp.176-180
- Jawaid M, Abdul Khalil HPS. ‘Cellulosic/synthetic fibre reinforced polymer hybrid composites: A review’. Carbohyd Polym, Volume 86, 2011, pp. 1–18.
- Jawaid M, Abdul Khalil HPS, Abu Bakar A. ‘Mechanical performance of oil palm empty fruit bunches/jute fibres reinforced epoxy hybrid composites’. Material Science Engineering A, Volume 527, 2010, pp.7944-7949.
- Coutts RSP, Ni Y, Tobias BC. ‘Air-cured bamboo pulp reinforced cement’, Journal of Material Science letter, Volume 13, 1994, pp.283 – 285.