USE OF ETHANOL AS AN ALTERNATIVE FUEL FOR I.C. ENGINE
Author’s Name : Vikas Salve | Kaushlendra Patel
Volume 01 Issue 03 Year 2014 ISSN No: 2349-3860 Page no: 11-14
As the world’s population goes on increasing and the standard of human living improving day by day, increases the need of energy. The increase in energy consumption particularly in past several decades has raised the fears of exhausting vital natural resources. As India having large number of automobile sector the cost of petroleum fuel goes on increasing. Also in concern of environmental effect due to emission of harmful gases such as CO, CO2, NOx, SOx, lead and other particulates which lead to air pollution and adverse affect on human beings, as vehicles using fossil fuel. My present paper focuses on the use of ethanol as an alternative fuel for internal combustion engine. Using the ethanol as a fuel in IC engines reduces greenhouse effect effectively by reducing CO, CO2, NOx, SOx. Ethanol can be used as a fuel in internal combustion engine in two ways, as a straight fuel and as a blended fuel. For low blends of ethanol there is no need of engine modification. Thus use of ethanol provides great hands in reducing dependent on petroleum fuel.
Ethanol fuel, Emission, Alternative fuel, Gasoline
- Srinivasan V., Francis Luther King M. and Purushothaman T., 2014 “Alternative Fuel- A Literature Review’.
- Anshu Srivastava, Shakun Srivastava, Nigam A.C., Journal Of Environmental Science Volume 1, No 2, 2010, “Alternative fuel for transportation”.
- A.D. Bhetalu, Dr. S.S. Patil, Dr. N.W. Ingole, Journal and engineering research study, AN OVEVIEW ETHANOL AS MOTOR FUEL.
- Arnbuj D. Sagar, 1995. “Automobiles and global warming: “Alternative fuels and other options for carbon dioxide emission reduction”.
- E.I. Williamson, R.C.M. Longley 2011. Alternative fuels for automobiles the medium term realities.
- Mr. Naiman ali, Mazharuddin khan mohd, Majid mohiuddin, Apr 2011 “Ethanol Fuel Production Through Microbial Extracellular Enzymatic Hydrolysis and Fermentation from Renewable Agrobased Cellulosic Wastes”.
- Lin Tanaka 2006 “Ethanol Fermentation from Biomass Resources: Current state and Prospects”.
- Geller H.S., 1985, Ethanol fuel from sugar cane in Brazil, Ann. Rev. Energy, 10: 135-164.
- C.Argakiotis, R.Mishra,C.Stubbs and W.Weston, International Conference on Renewable Energies and Power Quality,April 2014, “The Effect of using an Ethanol blended fuel on Emissions in an SI Engine”.
- Sumit Sharma, Ashish Nayyar, International Journal of Science and Research, “A Review on Available Evidence for Effects of Ethanol Fuels on Air Pollutant Emissions from Motor Vehicles”.
- Uduak George AKPAN, Adamu Ali ALHAKIM, and Udeme Joshua Josiah IJAH, 2008, “Production of Ethanol Fuel from Organic and Food Wastes”.
- Jitendra kumar, N.A Ansari, Vikas Verma, Sanjeev Kumar, American Journal of Engineering Research, “Exhaust Gas Analysis and Parametric Study of Ethanol Blended Gasoline Fuel in Spark Ignition Engine”.
- N. Seshaiah, Apr 2010, “Efficiency and exhaust gas analysis of variable compression ratio spark ignition engine fuelled with alternative fuels”.
- Lim Soo King, Low Chong Yu and Chan Jiun Khin, 2014, “Performance And Emission Analysis Of Ethanol Gasoline Blended Fuel”.
- Iman K. Reksowadojo, Long H. Duong Duc Ng. Pham, April 2014, “Review Of Typical Bio fuel for Aviation Alternative Fuel Purposes”.
- MartinVorácek, Jakub Kraus, “Production and properties of alternative aviation fuels”.
- S. Prasad, Anoop Singh, H.C.Joshi, 2006, “Ethanol as an alternative fuel from agricultural, industrial and urban residues.
- AshishS.Lanje, M.J.Deshmukh, Oct 2012,“Performance and Emission Characteristics of SI Engine Using LPG-Ethanol Blends”.
- V.Balaji Raman, X.Alexander, June 2013, “Emission and Performance Test on Petrol Engine Using Fuel Modification”.