Effect of Ambient Temperature on The Performance of Heat Recovery Steam Generator for Benghazi Combined Cycle Power Plant
Author’s Name : Salah M. El-Badri| Naser S. Sanoussi| GamalG. S. Hashem | Adrees A. Alshaheebi
Volume 06 Issue 01 Year 2019 ISSN No: 2349-3860 Page no: 17-21
In view of the energy crisis, the heat recovery system at any stage is very important in the field of conservation of energy. The heat recovery steam generator is one of the important components in the combined cycle (gas turbine cycle and steam power cycle) and is the most efficient energy conservation system in recent trends. Its function is to recover the waste heat present in the exhaust gases of the gas turbine cycle and to generate the steam to run a steam power cycle. This project focused on the effect of ambient temperature on the performance of heat recovery steam generator in Benghazi combined cycle power plant at different ambient conditions. The results show that the increase of ambient temperature increases the exhaust outlet temperature from the gas turbine and thus increases the heat content present in the flue gases. So, it is possible to generate more amount of steam at high ambient temperatures. It is observed that the percentage of heat utilization increases because the inlet temperature of heat recovery steam generator increases with increase of ambient temperature.
HRSG, Gas Turbine, Steam Turbine, Ambient temperature
- L. Drbal, K. Westra, and P. Boston, Power plant engineering: Springer Science & Business Media, 2012.
- A. R. Navaie, “Thermal Design and Optimization of Heat Recovery Steam Generators and Waste Heat Boilers,” Technische Universität Berlin, 2017.
- GECOL, “Benghazi Combined Cycle Project-Heat recovery Steam Generator-Operating and Maintenance .Manual-Document No: BP-V-HG-92-001.”
- Enggcylopedia.Combined Cycle Power Plant[Online]. Available: https://www.enggcyclopedia.com/2011/12/combined-cycle-power-plant/.(Accessed: 01/10/2019)
- Alstom. (2012). Heat Recovery Steam Generators[Online]. Available: http://www.mcilvainecompany.com/Decision_Tree/subscriber/Tree/DescriptionTextLinks/heat-recovery-steam-generators-hrsg.pdf . (Accessed: 01/10/2019)
- D. Chase and P. Kehoe, “GE combined-cycle product line and performance,” GE Power Systems, Schenectady, NY, pp. 1-15, 2000.
- M. Ameri and P. Ahmadi, “The study of ambient temperature effects on exergy losses of a heat recovery steam generator,” in Challenges of Power Engineering and Environment, ed: Springer, 2007, pp. 55-60.
- R. Kolluru and Y. Dhanasekhar, “Performance Analysis of a Heat Recovery Steam Generator,” International Journal of Engineering Research and Technology, vol. 3, 2014.
- A. Bassily, “Enhancing the efficiency and power of the triple-pressure reheat combined cycle by means of gas reheat, gas recuperation, and reduction of the irreversibility in the heat recovery steam generator,” Applied Energy, vol. 85, pp. 1141-1162, 2008.