STABILITY ANALYSIS AND IMPROVEMENTS FOR PMSG-BASED WIND POWER GENERATOR PERFORMANCE UNDER FAULTS
Author’s Name : S Neeharika | M Rama Subbamma
Volume 04 Issue 03 Year 2017 ISSN No: 2349-2503 Page no: 16-22
This paper presents a novel application of continuous mixed -norm algorithm-based adaptive control strategy with the purpose of enhancing the low voltage ride through capability of grid-connected photovoltaic power plants. The PV arrays are connected to the point of common coupling through a DC-DC boost converter, a DC-link capacitor, a grid side inverter, and a three-phase step up transformer. The DC-DC converter is used for a maximum power point tracking operation based on the fractional open circuit voltage method. The grid-side inverter is utilized to control the DC-link voltage and terminal voltage at the PCC through a vector control scheme. The CMPN algorithm-based adaptive proportional-integral (PI) controller is used to control the power electronic circuits due to its very fast convergence. The proposed algorithm updates the PI controller gains online without the need to fine tune or optimize. The proposed control strategy is compared with that obtained using Taguchi approach-based an optimal PI controller taking into account subjecting the system to symmetrical, unsymmetrical faults, and unsuccessful reclosing of circuit breakers due to the existence of permanent fault.
Adaptive Control, Low Voltage Ride Through (LVRT), Photovoltaic (PV) Power Systems, Power System Control, Power System Dynamic Stability
- PV Power Plants 2014 Industry Guide [Online]. Available: http://www.pvresources.com
- D. L. Brooks and M. Patel, “Panel: Standards & interconnection requirements for wind and solar generation NERC integrating variable generation task force,” in Proc. IEEE Power Eng. Soc. General Meeting 2011, Jul. 2011, pp. 1–3.
- G. J. Kish, “Addressing future grid requirements for distributed energy resources,” M.Sc. thesis, Dept. Elect. Comput. Eng., Univ. Toronto,Toronto, ON, Canada, 2011.
- Y. Yang, F. Blaabjerg, and Z. Zou, “Benchmarking of grid fault modes in single-phase grid-connected photovoltaic systems,” IEEE Trans.Ind. Applicat., vol. 49, no. 5, pp. 2167–2176, Sep./Oct. 2013.
- Y. Yang, F. Blaabjerg, and H. Wang, “Low-voltage ride-through of single-phase transformerless photovoltaic inverters,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Applicat., vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 1942–1952, May/Jun. 2014.
- K. Kawabe and K. Tanaka, “Impact of dynamic behavior of photovoltaic power generation systems on short-term voltage stability,” IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 3416–3424, Nov. 2015.
- M. S. El Moursi, W. Xiao, and J. L. Kirtley, “Fault ride through capability for grid interfacing large scale PV power plants,” IET Gener.,Transm., Distrib., vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 1027–1036, 2013.
- Y. Wu, C.-H. Chang, Y. Chen, C. Liu, and Y. Chang, “A current control strategy for three-phase PV power system with low-voltage ride through,” in Proc. IET Int. Conf. Advances on Power System Control,Operation, Management (APSCOM), 2012, pp. 1–6.
- M. K. Hossain and M. H. Ali, “Low voltage ride through capability enhancement of grid connected PV system by SDBR,” in Proc. IEEE PES T&D Conf. Expo., 2014, pp. 1–5.