ENERGY STORAGE TECHNOLOGIES FOR INTEGRATION WITH FACTS CONTROLLERS: PERSPECTIVES AND PROSPECTS
Author’s Name : Kantilal D Joshi | Dr Vinod Chandrakar
Volume 04 Issue 01 Year 2017 ISSN No: 2349-2503 Page no: 28-31
Flexible A.C. Transmission systems (FACTS) are now well established technologies in power system applications. Many such large scale installations are functioning around the world. In last decade many Energy Storage technologies have matured to a stage wherein they can be used for multi megawatt applications. This paper explores the possibilities of integrating various energy storage options with these controllers. An overview of energy storage options along with their characteristics and utility are described. Possible benefits of integration in terms of improvement of transient stability, frequency regulation etc. is explained.
Flexible A.C. Transmission, Energy Storage, Ultra capacitors, SMES
- Hingorani NG, Gyugyi L. “Understanding FACTS concepts and technology of flexible AC transmission systems”. IEEE Press; 2000.
- Gyugyi L, Schauder CD, Torgerson SL, Edris A. “The unified power flow controller: a new approach to power transmission control” IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, 1995;10(2):1085–97.
- P. F. Ribeiro et al., “Energy storage systems for advanced power applications,” Proc. IEEE, vol. 89, no. 12, 2001. pp. 1744–1756,
- U.S. Department of Energy, “Grid Energy Storage”, December -2013
- DOE Global Energy Storage Databse, http://www.energystorageexchange.org
- Saravanan Kandasamy and Anita Rajapalan, ” Dynamic control modeling and simulation of a UPFC–SMES compensator in power systems,” Ain Shams Engineering Journal, vol. 6, 2015.pp. 1179-1186,
- Bidadfar, A. et.al, “Power swings damping improvement by control of UPFC and SMES based on direct Lyapunov method application” IEEE Power and Energy Society General Meeting ,2008, pp: 1 – 7
- Anju, M.; Rajasekaran, R “Co-ordination of SMES with STATCOM for mitigating SSR and damping power system oscillations in a series compensated wind power system”. IEEE International Conference on Computer Communication and Informatics 2013, pp: 1 – 6
- Jian Xun Jin, Xiao Yuan Chen, “Study on the SMES Application Solutions for Smart Grid” Physics Procedia, Vol.36 2012, pp: 902 – 907
- Mebtu Beza,Massimo Bongiorno “An Adaptive Power Oscillation Damping Controller by STATCOM With Energy Storage” , IEEE Transactions On Power Systems, Vol. 30, No. 1, January 2015,pp:484-493
- Mahyar Zarghami et.al, “A Novel Approach to Inter area Oscillation Damping by Unified Power Flow Controllers Utilizing Ultracapacitors”, 404 IEEE Transactions On Power Systems, Vol. 25 ,No.1, February, 2010 pp 404-412
- Mohd. Hasan Ali, Bin Wu, Roger A. Dougal, “ An overview of SMES Applications in Power and Energy Systems”, IEEE Transactions on sustainable energy, Vol1, No1, April 2010, pp 38-47.