A NOVEL CONTROL SCHEME FOR HYBRID ACTIVE NEUTRAL POINT CLAMPED FLYING INVERTER
Author’s Name : Rajesh Sulluru | G Ravindra Reddy | V Suresh
Volume 04 Issue 01 Year 2017 ISSN No: 2349-2503 Page no: 6-11
Integration of wind energy sources into the distribution grid disturbs the voltage profile that could be stabilized through the grid reinforcement or limiting the active power injection. Furthermore a multilevel control strategy was proposed for three-phase three-level grid-connected converter based wind energy system, where the external level controller was responsible to determine the active and reactive power interchange to grid. However, an increase in the number of levels of the conventional multilevel converters increases the complexity in controlling the voltage across the dc-link capacitors of Neutral point clamped converter; the capacitors of the flying capacitor (FC) converter and the number of isolated power supplies of the cascaded H-bridge converter. A hybrid five level multilevel converter referred as FC based active-neutral-point-clamped (ANPC) converter is considered. The redundant switching states of the FC based five-level ANPC converter are consumed to control the voltage across FC and the dc-link capacitor voltages which is achieved by simplifying the modulation of the converter. The proposed FC control strategy provides extra choice to regulate the dc-link capacitor voltages with dc offset injection technique. Simulation results are provided to verify the performance of the converter for medium voltage applications.
Multilevel Inverter,Modulation Techniques,Flying Capacitor based Active Neutral Point Clamped converter,Matlab Simulation Results
- H. Abu-Rub, J. Holtz, and J. Rodriguez, “Medium-Voltage Multilevel Converters—State of the Art, Challenges, and Requirements in Industrial Applications,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 57, no. 8, pp. 2581–2596, Aug. 2010.
- S. Kouro, M. Malinowski, K. Gopakumar, J. Pou, L. G. Franquelo, J. Rodriguez, M. A. Pérez, and J. I. Leon, “Recent
Advances and Industrial Applications of Multilevel Converters,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 57, no. 8, pp. 2553–2580, Aug. 2010.
- M. Malinowski, K. Gopakumar, J. Rodriguez, and M. A. Pérez, “A Survey on Cascaded Multilevel Inverters,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 57, no. 7, pp. 2197–2206, Jul. 2010.
- J. Rodriguez, “Multilevel inverters: a survey of topologies, controls, and applications,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 724–738, Aug. 2002.
- J. Rodriguez, S. Bernet, P. K. Steimer, and I. E. Lizama, “A Survey on Neutral-Point-Clamped Inverters,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 57, no. 7, pp. 2219–2230, Jul. 2010.
- J. Rodriguez, S. Bernet, B. Wu, J. O. Pontt, and S. Kouro, “Multilevel Voltage-Source-Converter Topologies for Industrial Medium-Voltage Drives,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 54, no. 6, pp. 2930–2945, Dec. 2007.
- B. P. McGrath, T. Meynard, G. Gateau, and D. G. Holmes, “Optimal Modulation of Flying Capacitor and Stacked Multi cell Converters Using a State Machine Decoder,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 508–516, Mar. 2007.
- H. Sepahvand, M. Khazraei, K. Corzine, and M. Ferdowsi, “Startup Procedure and Switching Loss Reduction for a Single-Phase Flying Capacitor Active Rectifier,” Ind. Electron. IEEE Trans., vol. 60, no. 9, pp. 3699–3710, May 2013.
- T. Bruckner, S. Bernet, and H. Guldner, “The Active NPC Converter and Its Loss-Balancing Control,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 855–868, Jun. 2005.
- M. Narimani, B. Wu, Z. Cheng, and N. Zargari, “A New Nested Neutral Point Clamped (NNPC) Converter for Medium-Voltage (MV) Power Conversion,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron, vol. 8993, no. MV, pp. 1–1, 2014.
- S. R. Pulikanti and V. G. Agelidis, “Hybrid Flying-Capacitor-Based Active-Neutral-Point-Clamped Five-Level Converter Operated With SHE-PWM,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 58, no. 10, pp. 4643–4653, Oct. 2011.
- T. B. Soeiro and J. W. Kolar, “The New High-Efficiency Hybrid Neutral-Point-Clamped Converter,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 60, no. 5, pp. 1919–1935, May 2013.
- F. Kieferndorf, M. Basler, L. a. Serpa, J.-H. Fabian, a. Coccia, and G. a. Scheuer, “A new medium voltage drive system based on ANPC-5L technology,” 2010 IEEE Int. Conf. Ind. Technol., pp. 643–649, 2010.
- G. Gateau, T. A. Meynard, and H. Foch, “Stacked multicell converter (SMC): properties and design,” in 2001 IEEE 32nd Annual Power Electronics Specialists Conference (IEEE Cat.No.01CH37230), 2001, vol. 3, pp. 1583–1588.
- T. A. Meynard, H. Foch, F. Forest, C. Turpin, F. Richardeau, L. Delmas, G. Gateau, and E. Lefeuvre, “Multi cell converters: derived topologies,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 49, no. 5, pp. 978–987, Oct. 2002.
- R. Naderi and A. Rahmati, “Phase-Shifted Carrier PWM Technique for General Cascaded Inverters,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 1257–1269, May 2008.