SERIES TRANSFORMER BASED SOLID STATE FAULT CURRENT LIMITER
Author’s Name : B.JAGADEESH
Volume 03 Issue 03 Year 2016 ISSN No: 2349-2503 Page no: 15-19
This paper studies a novel transformer-based solid state fault current limiter (TBSSFCL) for radial distribution network application. The proposed TBSSFCL is capable of controlling the magnitude of fault current .In order to control the fault current, primary winding of an isolating transformer is connected in series with line and secondary side is connected to a reactor, parallel with a bypass switch which is made for anti parallel insulated gate bipolar transistor. By controlling the magnitude of ac reactor current, the fault current is reduced and voltage of the point of common coupling is kept at an acceptable level. Also, by this TBSSFCL, switching overvoltage is reduced significantly. The proposed TBSSFCL can improve the power quality factors and also ,due to its simple structure ,the cost is relatively low. Laboratory results are also presented to verify the simulation and theoretical studies. It is shown that is TBSSFCL can limit the fault current with negligible delay, smooth the fault current waveform, and improve the power quality.
Series Transformer Based Solid State Fault Current Limiter (TBSSFCL), Power Quality (PQ), Peripheral Integrated Circuit (PIC),Fault Current Limiter (FCL).
- Jae Young Jang, Jiho Lee, Young Gun Park, Jinsub Kim, Jae Woong Shim, Min Cheol Ahn,Kyeon Hur, Senior Member, IEEE, Tae Kuk Ko, Member, IEEE, A. Al-Ammar, Member, IEEE, and M. Babar “A Novel and Smart Design of Superconducting Fault Current Controller: Implementation andVerification for Various Fault Condition” IEEE transactions on applied superconductivity, Vol.23, No. 3, June 2013 5602904.
- Leonard Kovalsky, Xing Yuan, Kasegn Tekletsadik, Albert Keri, Joachim Bock, Frank Breuer “Applications of Superconducting Fault Current Limiters in Electric Power Transmission Systems”.
- C I R E D 20th International Conference on Electricity Distribution Prague, 8-1 June 2009 Paper 0225 “A practical superconducting fault current limiter “ Paul HOPEWELL Rolls-Royce UK , Mark HUSBAND UK Rolls-Royce, Alexander SMITH UK University of Manchester .
- S.Eckroad, EPRI Project Manager “Superconducting Fault Current Limiters” Technology Watch 2009, 1017793Technical Update, Dec2009.
- J.M.Aniceto Eth Zurich ,ABB Corporate Research , Switzerland ,K.Kaltenegger ,ABB Corporate Research, China H.G.SUN ABB Corporate Research, China “ Hybrid Fault Current Limiter interaction with MV Line Differential Protection” , A3-306 CIGRE 2010.
- Umer.A.khan.”Feasibility Analysis of the positioning of super conduction fault current limiter for the smart grid Application Using Simulink and simpower systems” IEEE transaction on applied superconductivity Aug2010.
- H.Yamaguchi ”Effect of Magnetic saturation on the current limiting characteristics of transformer type super conducting fault current limiter” IEEE Transaction on applied super conductivity,Vol16 ,June 2006.
- Woo-Jae Park, Byung chul sung, “The Effect of SFCL on Electric power grid with wind-turbine generation system “ IEEE Transaction on applied super conductivity, Vol.20,No.3,June 2010.
- Mark Stemmle “Analysis of unsymmetrical faults in high voltage power systems with super conducting fault current limiter ”IEEE Transaction on applied super conductivity, Vol.17,No.2, June 2007.
- S.Sugimoto“Principle and character tics of a fault current limiter with series compensation“IEEE Transaction of power deliver, Vol.11, April 1996.
- Min Cheol Ahn and Tac Kuk Ko, “Proof of concept of a smart fault current controller with a super conducting coil for the Smart Grid “IEEE Transaction on applied super conducting ,Aug2010.
- N.Nimpitiwan, G.T.Heydt, “Fault Current Issues for Market Driven Power Systems with Distributed Generation” IEE PES General Meeting, San Francisco, June 2005, page 2.