DISCRIMINATION OF INTER-TURN FAULTS FROM MAGNETIZING INRUSH CURRENTS IN TRANSFORMERS: A WAVELET TRANSFORM APPROACH
Author’s Name : Dr.S.R.Paraskar
Volume 03 Issue 02 Year 2016 ISSN No: 2349-2503 Page no: 1-6
Power transformers are designed to transmit and distribute electrical power. Depending on the size of a transformer, replacement costs can range from a few hundred dollars to millions of dollars. Performing invasive tests also add to the replacement cost. Hence, there is an increasing need to move from traditional schedule-based maintenance programs to condition-based maintenance. A focused approach is required for diagnostics. Considering the long service life of a power transformer and prevalent use of human judgment (expert), there is a need to develop a knowledge base expert system. This paper proposes a noninvasive approach, using digital signal processing wavelet-based artificial neural network technique for monitoring non stationary variations in order to distinguish between transformer inrush currents and transformer inter-turn faults. The performance of this algorithm is demonstrated on custom-built three-phase transform.
Transformer, Inrush, Interturn fault, Wavelet Transform, Artificial Neural Network
- J. L. Blackburn, Protective Relaying Principles And Application. New York: Marcel Dekker, 1997.
- X. Lin, H. Weng, P. Liu, B. Wang, and Z. Bo, “Analysis of a sort of unusual mal-operation of transformer differential protection due to removal of external fault,” IEEE Trans. Power Del., vol. 23, no. 3, pp.1374–1379, Jul. 2008.
- Yousef, O.A.S. (2003) ‘A wavelet based technique for discrimination between faults and magnetizing inrush currents in transformer’, IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 18, No. 1, January, pp.170–176.
- H. Weng, X. Lin, and P. Liu, “Studies on the operation behavior of differential protection during a loaded transformer energization,” IEEE Trans. Power Del., vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 1386–1391, Jul. 2007.
- Butter-pury, K.L. and Bagriyanik, M. ‘Characterization of transients in Xmer using DWT’, IEEE Transactions on Power System, Vol. 18, No. 2, May2003, pp.648–656.
- J. Faiz and S. Lotfifard. “A Novel Wavelet Based Algorithm for Discrimination of Internal Faults from Magnetizing Inrush Current in Power Transforms,” IEEE Transaction on Power Delivery, vol. 21, no. 4, October2006.
- Saleh, S.A. and Rahman, M.A. (2005) ‘Modelling and protection of three phase power transformer using wavelet packet transform’, IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 20, No. 2, pt II, April, pp.1273–1282.
- Mao, P.L. and Agrawal, R.K. (2001) ‘A novel approach to the classification of the transient phenomena’s in power transformers using combine wavelet transform and neural network’, IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, Vol. 16, No. 4, October 2001, pp.654–660.
- Jazebi, S., Vahidi B., Hosseinian, S. H., and Faiz, J. “Magnetizing inrush current identification using wavelet based Gaussian mixture models,” Simulation Modeling Practice and Theory, vol. 17,Issue No.6, pp. 991-1010, 2009.
- Manoj Tripathi,Rudra Prakash maheshwari, and H.K.Verma “Power Transformer Differential Protection Based On Optimal Probabilistic Neural Network”, IEEE Transaction on Power Delivery,vol.25, No.1, pp.102-112, Jan 2010.