SOFT SWITCHING OF BOOST CONVERTER USING H-I BRIDGE RESONANT CIRCUIT
Author’s Name : Maheswari K T | Jenitha J | Boopathi V | Geethaa C
Volume 02 Issue 03 Year 2015 ISSN No: 2349-2503 Page no: 17-24
A innovative soft-switching boost converter is proposed in this paper. The conventional boost converter produces switching losses at turn ON and OFF, and this causes a reduction in the whole system’s efficiency. The proposed boost converter employs a soft switching method using an auxiliary circuit with a resonant inductor and capacitor, auxiliary switch, and diodes. Therefore, the proposed soft-switching boost converter diminishes switching losses more than the conventional hard-switching converter. The efficiency, which is about 91% in hard switching, rises to about 96% in the proposed soft-switching converter. In this paper, the performance of the proposed soft-switching boost converter is confirmed through the theoretical analysis, simulation, and experimental results.
- B. R. Lin and J. J. Chen, “Analysis and implementation of a soft switching converter with high-voltage conversion ration,” IET Power Electron., vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 386–394, Sep. 2008.
- D. W. Erning and A. R. Hefner, Jr., “IGBT model validation for soft switching applications,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 37, no. 2, pp.650–660, Mar./Apr. 2001.
- H. Mao, O. A. Rahman, and I. Batarseh, “Zero-voltage- switching DC-DC converters with synchronous rectifiers,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 369–378, Jan. 2008.
- S. S. Saha, B. Majumdar, T. Halder, and S. K. Biswas, “New fully soft switched boost-converter with reduced conduction losses,” inProc. Power Electron. Drive Syst. 2005 Int. Conf., Jan., 2006, vol. 1, pp.107–112.
- X. Wu, J. Zhang, X. Ye, and Z. Qian, “Analysis and derivations for a family ZVS converter based on a new active clamp ZVS cell,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 773–781, Feb. 2008.
- Manuscript received October 27, 2009; revised January 17,2010. Date of current version July 16, 2010. This work was supported by the Ministry of Knowledge and Economy under a Manpower Development Program for Energy and Resources. Recommended for publication by Associate Editor F. L Luo.