NEW AUTOMATED SYSTEM FOR SEVERITY JUDGMENT OF EARLY STAGE DIABETIC RETINOPATHY
Author’s Name : Amritansh Saxena | Gunjan Pahuja
Volume 03 Issue 04 Year 2016 ISSN No: 2349-3828 Page no: 18-24
There is an aggregating interest in development of the automatic medical diagnosis systems because of the advancement in the computer technology. The knowledge regarding health and disease is required at higher rate for the accurate medical diagnosis. The Diabetic Retinopathy is one of the most common problems that may lead to blindness and it can be prevented or cured if detected at the earlier stage. The presence of Diabetic Retinopathy can be detected by its different signs; the most distinctive is the presence of cotton wool and exudates which are bright lesions. It is necessary to localize the presence of optic disk and the structure of blood vessels. They play a very important role in the accurate detection and classification of cotton wools and exudates. This Research Work proposes a computer aided system which can be used for detection of exudates. The Research Work presents various algorithms for fundus retinal images preprocessing, blood vessel detection, optic disk localization, lesion detection, Detection of presence of diabetic retinopathy with the help of neural network. The developed method is tested on publically available STARE database and the performance metrics is calculated.
Diabetic Retinopathy; Foveal avascular zone; Medical image analysis; Retinal fundus images; Panretinal Photocoagulation; Microaneurysms
- Abdel-Ghafar, R. A, “Detection and characterization of the optic disc in glaucoma and diabetic retinopathy”, Proceedings of the Medical Image Understanding Analysis Conference, (AC ’04), pp: 23- 24, London, UK 2004
- AlirezaOsareh, BitaShadgar, and Richard Markham , “A Computational-Intelligence-Based Approach for Detection of Exudates in Diabetic Retinopathy Images”, IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine, vol. 13, no. 4, pp.535-545, July 2009.
- AkaraSopharak, “ An Efficient Approach for Detection of Exudates in Diabetic Retinopathy Images Using Clustering Algorithm”, IOSR Journal of Computer Engineering (IOSRJCE)ISSN: 2278-0661 Volume 2, Issue 5 (July-Aug. 2012), pp 43-48.
- Ege V Akram and Shoab A Khan, “Automated Detection of Dark and Bright Lesions in Retinal Images for Early Detection of Diabetic Retinopathy” ,Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2011.
- Gagnon, L. Marc, L. Marie-Carole, “Procedure to detect anatomical structures in optical fundus images”, Processing of the Conference on Medical Image, (MI 01),SanDigo, pp: 1218-1225. DOI: 10. 1117/12. 430999, 2011.
- Haar, T. F,“Automatic localization of the optic disc in digital color images images of human retinal”, Utrecht University,2005.
- Nidhal K. El Abbadi and EnassHamood Al Saadi, “Automatic Detection of Exudates In Retinal Images”, IJCSI International Journal of Computer Science Issues, Vol. 10, Issue 2, No 1, March 2013.
- Niemeijer, B.V Ginnekan S.R, Russell. M and M.D. Abramoff, “Automated detection and differentiation of drusen, exudates and Cotton wool spots in digital color fundus photographs for diabetic retinopathy diagnosis” , Invest.Ophthalmol Vis. Sci., Vol.48,pp. 2260-2267, 2007.
- Osareh, A. ,Mirmehdi, M. , Thomas B. , Markham, R, “Classification and localisation of diabetic-related eye disease”. Proceeding of the 7th European Conference on Computer Vision Copenhagen, Vision, May 28-31, Denmark, pp: 502-516. DOI: 10. 1007/3-540-47979-1_34S, 2013.
- Sinthanayothin, C, “Automated localization of the optic disc, fovea and retinal blood vessels from digital colour fundus images”. Br. J. Ophthalmol. , pp: 902-910. PMID: 10413690, 1998.
- Sinthanayothin, C,. “Image analysis for automatic diagnosis of diabetic retinopathy”, Ph. D. Dissertation, UK, 1999.
- T. Walter, J. Klein, P. Massin, and A. Erginary, “A contribution of image processing to the diagnosis of diabetic retinopathy, detection of exudates in colour fundus images of the human retina‖”, IEEE TransMedical.Imaging, Vol. 21, No. 10, pp.1236–1243, October. 2002.
- STARE Database: http://www.ces.clemson.edu/~ahoover/stare/
- Clinical Diabetes Milletus: A Problem Oriented Approach by John K Davidson
- Microscope Image Processing by Qiang Wu, Fatima Merchant, Kenneth Castleman