MOBILE PHONE BASED DRUNK DRIVING DETECTION
Author’s Name : A.A. Daundkar | S.A.DhaigudePatil | Shweta P. Bidgar
Volume 03 Issue 02 Year 2016 ISSN No: 2349-3828 Page no:13-15
Drunk driving, or officially Driving Under the Influence (DUI) of alcohol, is a major cause of traffic accidents throughout the world. In this paper, we propose a highly efficient system aimed at early detection and alert of dangerous vehicle maneuvers typically related to drunk driving.The entire solution requires only a mobile phone placed in vehicle and with accelero meter and orientation sensor.A program installed on the mobile phone computes accelerations based on sensor readings,and compares them with typical drunk driving patterns extracted from real driving tests.The purpose of this system is to advance a system to detect drunk driving based on real time patterns found while driving by the driver and to alert driver’s friends or family or both before accident actually happens. The main components of the system consist of accelero meter and orientation sensors and software interface with GPS and Google Maps APIs for location.
Drunk Driving Detection; Mobile Application; Sensors
- B. Gozick, R. Dantu, “Safe Driving Using Mobile Phones”, http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/login.jsp?tp=&arnumber=6171850&url=http%3A%2 %2Fieeexplore.ieee.org%2Fiel5%2F6979%2F6289408%2F06171850.pdf%3Farnumber%3D6171850.
- J. Dai,J. Teng, X. Bai, Z. Shen, D. Xuan, “Mobile phone based drunk driving detection”, published in Pervasive Computing Technologies for Healthcare (PervasiveHealth), 2010 4th International Conference on-NO PERMISSIONS.
- U.S. CDC, “Mobile Vehicle Safety-Impaired Driving”, http://www.cdc. gov/MotorVehicleSafety/Impaired Driving/impaired-drv factsheet.html
- U.S. NHTSA, “Traffic Safety”, http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/
- U.S. NHTSA, “The Visual Detection of DWI Motorists”, http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/alcohol/dwi/dwihtml/index.htm
- J. Lee, J. Li, L. Liu and C. Chen, “A Novel Driving Pattern Recognitionand Status Monitoring System”, in First pacific rim symposium, PSIVT2006, pp. 504-512, December 2006.
- “New Smartphone Family Wireless Plan from Cincinnati Bell”,http://wirelessplansinformation.blogspot.com/2008/10/new-smartphonefamily-wireless-plan.html.
- A. V. Desai and M. A. Haque, “Vigilance Monitoring for Operator Safety: A Simulation Study on Highway Driving”, in Journal of Safety Research, Vol. 37, No. 2, pp. 139-147, 2006.
- Wikipedia, “GPS” entry, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global Positioning System
- V. D. Lecce and M. Calabrese, “Experimental System to Support Real-Time Driving Pattern Recognition”, in Advanced Intelligent Computing Theories and Applications With Aspects of Artificial Intelligence Annals of Emergency Medicine, pp. 1192-1199, 2008