APP RANK FRAUD AND MALWARE DETECTION USING FUZZY LOGIC
Author’s Name : A Blessy | T B Dharmaraj
Volume 01 Issue 04 Year 2014 ISSN No: 2349-3828 Page no: 18-20
FairPlay using Fuzzy Logic is introduced, a novel system that discovers and leverages traces left behind by fraudsters, to detect both malware and apps subjected to search rank fraud. FairPlay correlates review activities and uniquely combines detected review relations with linguistic and behavioural signals gleaned from Google Play app data (87K apps, 2.9M reviews, and 2.4M reviewers, collected over half a year), in order to identify suspicious apps. FairPlay achieves over 95% accuracy in classifying gold standard datasets of malware, fraudulent and legitimate apps. We show that 75% of the identified malware apps engage in search rank fraud. FairPlay discovers hundreds of fraudulent apps that currently evade Google Bouncer’s detection technology. FairPlay also helped the discovery of more than 1,000 reviews, reported for 193 apps, that reveal a new type of “coercive” review campaign: users are harassed into writing positive reviews, and install and review other apps.
Fuzzy Logic, Android Market, Malware Detection, Rank Fraud
- Andy Greenberg. Malware Apps Spoof Android Market To Infect Phones.
- Best App Promotion. www.bestreviewapp.com/.
- Daniel Roberts. How to spot fake apps on the Google Play store. Fortune, 2015.
- Ezra Siegel. Fake Reviews in Google Play and Apple App Store. Appentive, 2014. Ezra Siegel. Fake Reviews in Google Play and Apple App Store. Appentive, 2014.
- Fiver https://www.fiverr.com/.
- Forbes Security, 2014.
- Freelancer. http://www.freelancer.com.
- Gang Wang, Christo Wilson, Xiaohan Zhao, Yibo Zhu, Manish Mohanlal,
- Haitao Zheng, and Ben Y. Zhao. Serf and Turf: Crowd turfing for Fun and Profit. In Proceedings of ACM WWW. ACM, 2012
- Google Play. https://play.google.com/.
- Stephanie Mlot. Top Android App a Scam, Pulled From Google Play. PCMag, 2014.
- Zachs Miners. Report: Malware-infected Android apps spike in the Google Play store. PC World, 2014.