CRACK ANALYSIS IN BEAMS USING NATURAL FREQUENCIES THROUGH FINITE ELEMENT ANALYSIS
Author’s Name : Batte Om Sheshunadh | Mr M Ravindra
Volume 04 Issue 04 Year 2017 ISSN No: 2349-7289 Page no: 1-6
A strong interest has developed within the past several years in the dynamic behavior of turbo machinery with cracked shafts. The presence of cracks causes changes in the physical properties of a structure which introduces flexibility, and thus reducing the stiffness of the structure consequently it leads to the change in the dynamic response of the beam. Crack depth and location are the main parameters for the vibration analysis of cracked structures. So it becomes very important to monitor the changes in the response parameters of the structure to access structural integrity, performance and safety. Now a days, the procedures that are often used for crack detection are those which are called direct procedures, such as ultrasonic, X-rays, etc. However these methods have proved to be inoperative and unsuitable in some particular cases. Since they require minutely detailed periodic inspections, which are very costly. In order to avoid these costs, during the last decades, people searched for more efficient procedure in crack detection through vibration analysis. In the present study, vibration analysis of cantilever beam with and without crack is investigated by free vibration on steel and eglass/epoxy composite beam in ANSYS software. The cracks at different locations such as 100mm, 300mm, 500mm, 700mm and 900mm from the fixed end with different crack depths such as 2.5mm, 5mm, 7.5mm, 10mm and 12.5mm from the top surface are taken. The natural frequencies and mode shapes are predicted from the successful execution of ANSYS software in each case and the results are compared.
ANSYS, FEM, Cantilever Beam, Natural Frequency
- Kisa Murat and Gurel M. Arif, Free vibration analysis of uniform and stepped cracked beams with circular cross sections, International Journal of Engineering Science 45,(2007), pp.364–380.
- Orhan Sadettin, Analysis of free and forced vibration of a cracked cantilever beam, NDT and E International 40, (2007), pp.43-450.
- Chasalevris Athanasios C. and Papadopoulos. Identification of multiple cracks in beams under bending, Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing 20, (2006), pp.1631-1673.
- Nahvi and Jabbari M, Crack detection in beams using experimental modal data and finite element model, International Journal of Mechanical Sciences 47, (2005), pp.1477–1497
- Loutridis S, Douka E. and Hadjileontiadis., Forced vibration behaviour and crack detection of cracked beams using instantaneous frequency, NDT&E International, 38(5),(2005), pp. 411-419.
- Ertugrul Cam, Orhan Sadettin and Luy Murat, An analysis of cracked beam structure using impact echo method, NDT and E International 38 (2005), pp.368–373.
- Patil., Maiti S.K, Experimental verification of a method of detection of multiple cracks in beams based on frequency measurements, Journal of Sound and Vibration 281,(2005),pp.439–451.
- Dharmaraju N, Tiwari R. and Talukdar S, Identification of an open crack model in a beam based on force–response measurements, Computers and Structures 82, (2004),pp.167–179.
- Jeon-Tae Kim, Yeon-Sun Ryu, Hyun-Man Cho, Norris Stubbs, Damage identification in beam-type structures: frequency-based method vs mode shape-based method, Engineering Structures 25 (2003) 57-67.
- Darpe A.K, Gupta K., Chawla A, Dynamics of a two-crack rotor, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 259 (3), (2003), pp.649–675.
- J.K.Sinha, M.I.Friswell and S.Edwards, Simplified Models for the Location of Cracks in Beam Structures using Measured Vibration data, Journal of Sound and Vibration (2002) 251(1), 13-38.
- Yang X.F, Swamidas A.S.J. and Seshadri, Crack Identification in vibrating beams using the Energy Method, Journal of Sound and vibration 244(2), (2001), pp.339-357.
- S.Chinchalkar, Determination of crack location in beams using Natural Frequencies, Journal of Sound and Vibration (2001) 247(3), 417-429.
- P.N.Saavedra, L.A.Cuitino, Crack detection and vibration behaviour of cracked beams, Computers and Structures 79 (2001) 1451-1459.
- S.D.Pantliou, T.G.Chondros and V.C.Argyrakis, Damping factor as an Indicator of Crack Severity, Journal of Sound and Vibration (2001) 241(2), 235-245.
- Kisa M. And Brandon J, The Effects of closure of cracks on the dynamics of a cracked cantilever beam, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 238(1), (2000) pp.1-18.
- J.Fernadndez-Saez, L.Rubio et.al Approximate calculation of the Fundamental frequency for bending Vibrations of cracked beams, Journal of Sound and Vibration (1999) 225(2), 345-352.
- Ruotolo R, et al Harmonic analysis of the vibrations of a cantilevered beam with a closing crack, Computers and Structures, 61(6), (1996), pp.1057–1074.
- T.C.Tsai And Y.Z.Wang, Vibration Analysis and Diagnosis of a Cracked Shaft, Journal of Sound and Vibration (1996) 192(3), 607-620.
- W.M.Ostachowicz and M.Krawczuk, Analysis of the Effect of Cracks on the Natural Frequencies of a Cantilever Beam, Journal of Sound and Vibration (1991) 150(2), 191-201.