A STUDY ON THE VARIOUS FACTORS WHICH INFLUENE THE EFFECTIVENESS OF THE FACULTY DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMMES (WITH SPECIAL REFERENCE TO PRIVATE ENGINEERING INSTITUTIONS OF JODHPUR CITY, RAJASTHAN)
Author’s Name : Maneet Siwach
Volume 04 Issue 02 Year 2017 ISSN No: 2349-7289 Page no: 21-24
Faculty development programmes have become popular in all streams of education and holds immense importance and relevance with respect to technical education since technology is continuously evolving. Hence, it become extremely important for the educators of technical institution to keep themselves updated of the latest technological developments. The faculty development programmes not just aim at the development of technical skills but can be designed to address multiple issues and concerns of the educators. Faculty development programmes thus play a major role in enhancing the abilities of the faculty members to impart high quality education and develop their interpersonal and intra personal skills to be able to perform various other roles like that of a : counselor, guide, administrator, etc. This paper discusses various factors that relatively impact the faculty development programmes which in turn leads to the success or failure of such programmes. The objective of this paper is to understand various factors that influence the success of a faculty development programme. This paper also discusses some challenges that are faced by the institutions and the educators in organizing and participating in these programmes respectively. The paper also contributes suggestions to improve the design of such programmes so that they become more useful.
- AICTE. (n.d.). Retrieved APril 11, 2015, from facweb: http://www.facweb.iitkgp.ernet.in/~skbarai/aicte_faculty.pdf
- Berkel, H. J. (2010). Lessons from problem based learning. Oxford University Press.
- BITS, Mesra. (2015, April 11). Retrieved from BITS, Mesra: https://www.bitmesra.ac.in
- C William McKee, M. J. (2013). Current Faculty Development: Practitioner’s Perspective. New directions for teaching and learning.
- C. Amundsen, P. A. (2005). The What and Why of Faculty Development in Higher Education: An In-depth Review of. Montreal: AERA.
- Emerson, J. D. (2000). Development Programs for College Faculty: Preparing for the Twenty-first Century. In Educational Media and Technology Yearbook (pp. 26-42).
- Eric G. Boyce, P. J. (2008, October). Essential Components of a Faculty Development Program. Pharmacotherapy, 28, 245-268e.
- Farmer, E. A. (2005). Faculty development for problem-based learning. European journal of dental education, 59-66.
- Frantz JM1, B. J. (2015). The impact of a faculty development programme for health professions educators in sub-Saharan Africa: an archival study. BMC Med edu.
- Mary Deane Sorcinelli, A. E. (Sept 2005). Creating the Future of Faculty Development: Learning From the Past, Understanding the Present. Jossey-Bass.
- Miller, B. E. (2006). Faculty Development as community building. Calgary.
- Nishimura, T. (2014). Effective Professional Development of Teachers:. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF WHOLE SCHOOLING, 10.
- NPIU. (2015, April 11). Retrieved April 11, 2015, from National Project Implementation Unit: http://www.npiu.nic.in/ongngprj.htm
- Phuong, T. T., Duong, H. B., & McLean, G. N. (2015). Faculty Development in Southeast Asian Higher Education. Asia Pacific Education Review.
- Prof. R. P. Gandhi, F. (n.d.). Retrieved APRIL 4, 2015, from http://www.ugcfrp.ac.in/: http://www.ugcfrp.ac.in/
- Shahid, A. (2013, December 17). A Checklist for Effective Faculty Development Programs. Faculty Focus.
- Shefali Nandana*, S. G. (2010). A DYNAMIC MODEL FOR EVALUATION OF USEFULNESS OF. Serbian Journal of Management , 251-259.
- Sorcinelli, M. D. (2007). Faculty Development: The Challenge Going Forward. Peer review.
- Sorcinelli, M. D. (2011). Effective Approaches to New Faculty Development. Journal of Counseling and Development.
- Ullian JA, S. F. (1997). Types of faculty development programs. Fam Med, 237-241.
- Veronica Diaz, P. B. (2009, May 28). Faculty development for the 21st century. Educause.
- Veronica Diaz, P. B. (2009, May 28). Faculty development for the 21st Century. EDUCASE review, 44(3), 46 to 55.
- Whitworth, B. A., & Chiu, J. L. (2015, March). Professional Development and Teacher Change: The Missing Leadership Link. Journal of Science Teacher Education, 26, 21-137.
- Yvonne Steinert, P. (2008). FACULTY DEVELOPMENT – A BRIEF INTRODUCTION. Centre for Medical Education, Faculty of Medicine. McGill University.
YVONNE STEINERT1, K. M. (2006). A systematic review of faculty development initiatives designed to improve teaching effectiveness in medical education.