OPTIMIZATION OF NON ELECTRICAL & ELECTRICAL PARAMETERS IN EDM FOR MACHINING DIE STEEL WITH THE USE OF COPPER ELECTRODE BY APPLYING THE TAGAUCHI TECHNIQUE
Author’s Name : Ghadekar Nilesh Uttam | Mayank Ladha | Dr. Pradeep Patil
Volume 07 Issue 01 Year 2020 ISSN No: 2349-3860 Page no: 17-20
Abstract: Electrical Discharge Machining (EDM) is one of the most popular non-traditional machining processes used for machining conducting materials which are difficult to machine by convectional machining process. EDM is thermo-electric process in which metal melts and vaporizes and rapidly cool by dielectric forming debris and thus metal is removed by flushing process. The present work explores the machining conditions which include the effect of parameters like current, pulse on time, pulse off time, concentration of metal powder in dielectric on the MRR and EWR. It is attempted to find the optimal machining conditions for machining HCHCr steel using copper as tool. The experimental study was conducted on die sink type EDM located in institution central mechanical work shop. The design of experiment was conducted using Taguchi method of parametric design where in current, pulse on time pulse off time, mixed dielectric powder were selected and their effect on performance characteristic were MRR and EWR were studied. Experimental trials were conducted and result showed that current is the most significant parameter that influenced the machining response parameters like MRR and EWR.
Keywords: EDM, EWR, tool wear, current etc.
- khattare (2009), A phd. Thesis on “ Analysis of surface integrity in electrical discharge machining process for tungsten carbide material” submitted to Department of mechanical engineering – Thapar university, Patiala.
- Janmanee(2011) , “Optimization of EDM of composite 90WC-10Co based on taguchiapproch” European journal of scientific research, vol 64 No. 3, ISSN 1450-216X
- C Bhagat, B.L. Seth , HS payal (2012), “Optimization of EDM process parameters for surface roughness machining of die steel using copper tungsten electrode by Adopting Taguchi array design ”, Indian journal of technology, vol 5, issue 10, ISSN 0974-6846
- chaudhry (2010), “Analysis and evaluation of heat affected zone in discharge machining of EN 31 die steel”, Indian journal of engineering and material science, vol 17 pp.91-98
- J.SSoni.; G.Chakraverti,(1997), “ Performance evaluation of rotary EDM by experimental design technique” , Defense Science journal, vol. 47, No.1, pp 65-7
- L Jeswani (1981); “Effect of addition of graphite powder to kerosene used as dielectric fluid in EDM”, journal of wear, vol 70 , pp133-139.